Bridal Shower Pull Apart Cupcake Cake Tutorial

*UPDATE* If you are in the Toronto Area and would like to purchase this cupcake cake, visit my shop for more information and pricing.

A surprise Wedding Wednesday post! This time it’s not about my wedding, but a friend’s wedding.

I was asked by the Mother of the Bride to provide the cake for the Bridal Shower. I’m always looking for reasons to bake and as an eager Bridesmaid I was happy to contribute.

The shower was out of town, so I needed something that would be easy to transport, easy to serve, and nice enough looking to pass as semi-professional.

After doing a little bit of research, I decided on something new – a pull-apart cupcake cake in the shape of a wedding dress!

The online tutorials for pull-apart cakes were simple. Bake cupcakes, arrange them in the desired shape, cover in icing, and decorate. So off to Michaels I went for a cake box, board, and inspiration. While I was there I found the strings of pearls and the cute pendant. I was originally thinking of using a ribbon, but I think the pearls look much better.

I baked some lemon cupcakes and began to arrange them into the shape of a dress. I placed them on the cake board, to make sure I wasn’t making the cake too big. It was a trial-and-error puzzle, which fascinated Cam. I’ll be honest, I was struggling to get it just right and he took over, started from scratch, and came up with this:

From there, I used a dab of icing to “glue” each cupcake in place. This was important, otherwise the cupcakes would slide around during decorating and transport.

I then used a 1M tip to create the flowers on each cupcake, starting from the middle of each cupcake and working my way out:

The key here was creating overlap between cupcakes, so the whole “cake” was covered. Mom was helpful here in pointing out the open spaces, which we filled with icing.

Finally, we added the pearls and pendant embellishment (which, with a good wash could be used again or placed on a necklace). Although you can’t see them in the photo, I also used small Sugar Pearls and Pearl Dust to give the dress some subtle sparkle.

And voila! A simple bridal shower cake that was easy to transport and still had some wow-factor. Plus, there was no need for cutting or serving utensils since guests could grab the bottom of a cupcake and pull it from the cake for a single serving.

Comments: 71

1. Sharlene July 31, 2016 at 5:15 pm Reply

Do you have a suggestion for a cream cheese icing that will hold up? I’m making carrot cake cupcakes. 🙂

• mrsjsteed August 1, 2016 at 9:49 am Reply

Sounds delicious! Any cream cheese icing should work, so long as you don’t thin it out too much! As you’re mixing in the icing sugar, add less milk than the recipe calls for.

2. Diane King July 15, 2016 at 1:55 am Reply

What size board did you put the ring cake on?

3. Carol Shuman July 13, 2016 at 11:14 pm Reply

One of the gals in our Bunco Group got married and we wanted to celebrate. I hosted the next Bunco night, so we did a Wedding Theme, and I made this. It turned out so nice, got lots of compliments. I filled the cupcakes with a Lemon Curd, it turned out YUMMY! And it looked so pretty! Thank you for the idea!

• mrsjsteed July 15, 2016 at 12:52 pm Reply

Sounds delicious with the lemon curd filling!

4. Anita October 13, 2015 at 9:19 am Reply

Could a beginner do this pretty easy? Can you give your recipe for the icing? I want to do this for a special lady for her wedding shower

5. Debbie May 30, 2015 at 12:53 pm Reply

I seen the wedding gown cake from a different pin and fell in love with it. How easy it looks. I like the pearl sash idea too. I am making this cake for my daughter in laws shower but i am doing a champaign sash with edible tiny flowers drapping off the side. Frosting these cup cakes are making me nervous lol but i like the idea of putting a dolop of icing under each one to hold them in place. Thanks for the tip. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

6. Paula Waliczek March 30, 2015 at 12:04 pm Reply

Helllo, my name is Paula. I am going to be doing a Wine Glass Cupcake Cake for a shower.
    All I have is the photo the the Aunt sent to me. I cannot tell wether it is using mini cupcakes on the side or if it is just frosting. I was wondering if you could give me any information regarding the amount of cupcakes that mat be needed. I would greatly appreciate your help. The shower is the end of April.
    Thank You.

7. Mary October 25, 2014 at 1:22 am Reply

Oct. 2014 and the cupcake dress is still going strong! Going to make it for a shower next weekend – wish me luck and thanks for a great idea.!

• mrsjsteed October 28, 2014 at 6:14 pm Reply

Good Luck! I’m sure it turned out great! I’m still making them for bridal showers and baptisms, its a popular cake.

8. […] via: pinspired creations , i creative […]

9. […] (Source) […]

10. Robyn May 20, 2014 at 2:48 pm Reply

Hello,

Can you explain the dot you used for the glue to make them stick together? Where abouts did you put it?
    Robyna.knox@gmail.com

11. Hyacinth Rodrigues May 2, 2014 at 3:04 pm Reply

The cake looks awesome and very creative. Beautiful piece . Can I get the cup cake recipe please

12. Melissa April 12, 2014 at 12:35 am Reply

I did this and used blueberries for the waistband and champagne cupcakes… It is such a hit and goes a long way!

13. Sarah April 8, 2014 at 11:42 pm Reply

Hi Jessica,

Could you please tell me where you got the pearls and pendant? 🙂

• mrsjsteed April 9, 2014 at 12:19 am Reply

Sure, they are both from Michaels. The pearls are $.99 each strand (in Canada) and come in different sizes. The pendants change all the time so you may not find that exact one.

14. Marianne Kenney January 16, 2014 at 2:29 am Reply

Thank you sooooooo much for this tutorial. I was asked by the president of our organization, SWEP (Springfield Wedding & Event Professionals), if I could do this cake for a Bridal Shower shoot she will be doing in February. I did a test one for our meeting last night. Thanks again! It turned out great!!

• mrsjsteed January 18, 2014 at 6:00 pm Reply

You’re welcome!

15. Linda January 13, 2014 at 10:33 pm Reply

Beautiful!! Planning to make this the day before the shower. Can you recommend a way to cover it without messing up the icing? Also, what is the best way to transport it in the car? Thanks!!

• mrsjsteed March 11, 2014 at 3:07 pm Reply

I recommend investing in a cake box for this cake. They should only be a few dollars at your local craft store (like Michaels) or you can ask your grocery store bakery counter to sell you one. Put the cake box flat in the car – I like putting it on the floor – and it should travel just fine.

16. cynthia January 4, 2014 at 4:49 pm Reply

this was awesome , thanks for posting it, i made it for my girls baptism cake, because she is getting baptized in white, and i used 4 cans of store bought icing and just had enough to cover all the cup cakes, i made my own try for it out out of cardboard and tin foil, and i use a dollarama reusable icing kit and it was great actually. I’m so happy , can’t thank you enough for this post. to be able to make my daughter feel extra special on her baptism day:)

17. Kathy McCoy November 12, 2013 at 5:26 pm Reply

Precious idea! Did you use store bought icing or did you use your own homemade icing? If so, a good recipe yo use? Making for my daughters bridal shower this weekend! From Baton Rouge, La!

18. linda November 1, 2013 at 5:19 am Reply

very neat and pretty; thanks for sharing

19. Deborah October 29, 2013 at 12:02 am Reply

My sister got engaged last week, and I made this for her engagement party. I did not have the same decor, but it came out amazing!

20. Stella October 8, 2013 at 5:23 am Reply

The cake is BEAUTIFUL and a very clever idea!!

21. Dexter Louis August 31, 2013 at 6:19 am Reply

Wedding dress cake is nice and the procedure to make this cake is looking very simple. Everybody can bake this cake for their wedding.

22. des rose May 23, 2013 at 4:33 am Reply

love this! cant wait for the chance to try it and it has my creative mind thinking of all the other designs that this simple method can work for..thank you for sharing!

23. Mickey May 12, 2013 at 4:35 am Reply

Thank u for this… I will be doing it for my best friends bridal shower

24. Sharress Jefferson May 8, 2013 at 10:44 pm Reply

Where did you put the pearls on! And what did you use for the icing!

25. Steph Abercrombie April 27, 2013 at 7:21 pm Reply

Thanks for the inspiration! Made one today and its fantastic! Would love to send you a pic 🙂

26. Rick Martin April 26, 2013 at 10:45 am Reply

Hi Christine,
    AWESOME!!! I am doing this this week with a twist…I am using a lrge picture frame with a matted photo of the bride and groom under the glass so when the cupcakes are done they will have an added surprise…
    Rick

27. cwhite April 21, 2013 at 3:18 pm Reply

Have you tried a tuxedo too? I love this idea but I need a tux since it is a couples shower.

28. Christine Vaine April 20, 2013 at 2:12 pm Reply

Lovely! I’m going to be making this for an upcoming shower. How exactly did you “glue” the cupcakes together with frosting? On the sides? In between the spaces? Did you just use buttercream frosting for that?

• Jessica Steed April 20, 2013 at 2:25 pm Reply

Hi Christine,

The cupcakes are only “glued” to the board, not to each other. I dabbed a bit of the buttercream icing on the bottom of each cupcake and pressed it in place. I hope that helps!

• Cecilia Webb April 26, 2013 at 10:58 pm Reply

I was looking for this clarification! 🙂 I’m totally going to do this for my sisters bridal shower and my daughters first birthday (owl)

29. myinnerchick.com April 19, 2013 at 11:01 pm Reply

I love love love this!
    & I actually think I could make it :)) X

30. Emily Ciphery April 12, 2013 at 1:40 pm Reply

My sister’s getting married and I’m going to try doing this for her at her bridal shower next month! I’m really excited but nervous since I just started learning how to decorate and ice cupcakes properly in December. I’m thinking of doing a trial run before just in case!

31. Robin Martin April 7, 2013 at 2:39 am Reply

Thank you will be using for an upcoming bridal shower

32. Tori Ewing Lucas March 25, 2013 at 8:54 pm Reply

Hi! I am doing this in May. Did you use standard or jumbo cupcakes! This is just beautiful!

• Jessica Steed March 25, 2013 at 11:01 pm Reply

These are standard sized cupcakes but I’m sure it would be just as beautiful with jumbo ones. The number of cupcakes and formation would be a little different though.

33. Laura March 19, 2013 at 12:46 am Reply

I made this for my daughters baptism and it was a huge hit! It really made the dinner xtra special and my daughter was sooo thrilled with how it turned out. I would post a pix but couldnt figure out how to do that on here. It looks exactly like the picture thou. Thank you for sharing your beautiful talent.

34. Katie Lofts March 18, 2013 at 4:51 pm Reply

Oh my goodness! I’m so excited to get to make this for my daughter’s Baptism this Saturday! So glad I found it! I’ll try to post pics when I am done. Thanks for the “Pin-spiration”! 😉

• Jessica Steed March 19, 2013 at 12:43 am Reply

You’re welcome! If you post pics online, I’d love to check them out!

35. Monica Martin March 13, 2013 at 12:40 am Reply

What tip did you use to icing the cupcakes???

36. Cmelove and Cmesmile March 4, 2013 at 7:57 am Reply

Love this!
    I actually made this for my cousin’s bridal shower and everyone loved it!

37. JoAnn M February 10, 2013 at 7:32 pm Reply

Sorry for all the questions..love it so much and I want to do it right….do u use the buttercream to secure the cupcakes or canned frosting??

38. JoAnn M February 10, 2013 at 6:34 pm Reply

Thank you for the response..what color paper wrappers did u use…did u cover the wrappers as well with frosting

• Cecilia Webb April 26, 2013 at 10:55 pm Reply

I’d like an answer to this as well. You said you used icing to glue the cupcakes together. You put icing on the wrappers?

• Jessica Steed April 27, 2013 at 12:05 am Reply

Hi Cecilia, The cupcakes aren’t glued together, they are only glued to the cake board. There is only icing on the bottom of the cupcake, not on the sides of the wrappers. I hope this helps!

39. JoAnn M February 10, 2013 at 2:18 am Reply

Did u use paper cupcake holders…or did u make cupcakes without them

• Jessica Steed February 10, 2013 at 3:14 am Reply

Yes, I baked the cupcakes in paper wrappers.

40. Kelly Tyer January 31, 2013 at 3:05 am Reply

I am going to make this for a friends bridal shower and I will let you know how it goes! Thanks for the step-by-step!

• Jessica Steed February 10, 2013 at 3:15 am Reply

Great! I’d love to hear how it turned out!

41. nains m January 25, 2013 at 8:34 am Reply

Very neat and pretty! Thanks for sharing 🙂

42. deb January 24, 2013 at 8:21 pm Reply

Going to try this for my daughter’s wedding shower this February. Thanks for the idea.

43. Luzzy January 20, 2013 at 9:47 am Reply

Geniale!!! Bravissima cara
    Bye

44. Donna January 10, 2013 at 3:22 am Reply

Not usually a fan of cupcake cakes until now…this is beautiful!
    Donna at Let’s Do Cake!

45. glo January 3, 2013 at 2:04 am Reply

beautiful !

46. Maggsg January 2, 2013 at 7:23 pm Reply

Very nice, I am having a bridal shower for my niece in April. This would work great. Thank you for sharing.

47. Lillian Celeste December 27, 2012 at 7:21 pm Reply

What size was the board you put the cupcakes on?

• Jessica Steed February 6, 2013 at 7:43 pm Reply

Hi Lillian, the board was 13″ x 19″.

48. MissMOE December 18, 2012 at 9:02 pm Reply

This is amazing. Thanks for sharing.

49. MamaLadyBug December 6, 2012 at 12:15 am Reply

Simple, yet gorgeous!!!

50. Amber November 30, 2012 at 5:31 pm Reply

Genius! I plan on using this for my daughter’s upcoming first communion dinner!! Thank you!!

51. Robin Sattouf November 23, 2012 at 2:44 pm Reply

What type of icing did you use and how much did you need? So glad I found this tutorial!!

• Jessica Steed November 23, 2012 at 5:21 pm Reply

Robin, I used Wilton’s Buttercream Icing recipe and I think I only used one batch (about 3 cups). The recipe is here: http://www.wilton.com/recipe/Buttercream-Icing

• Sharon May 27, 2013 at 1:31 pm Reply

I just made this for my niece’s bridal shower! Very easy to do and looked amazing. I would recommend doubling the recipe for the icing, though.